Thank you Mrs RP

My daughters teacher came to me a little cautiously today to report that Miss T had been quite upset in class today. She had become so upset that she was sobbing and needed a hug. The teacher went on to explain that she felt that she was partly responsible for the distress and sadness because it had started with her playing music for the students to write to, an activity that the children really enjoyed and through which produced some great work. However for my daughter it triggered some grief that until now she must have been bottling up. We lost our beautiful German Shepherd- Jack- at Christmas time due to an untreatable illness. The decision to end his suffering happened swiftly and without the benefit of time to adjust to the idea that we would lose our beautiful friend so soon (he was only 6years old).

At the time we all cried, and cried some more except for Miss T. I tried not to push the issue but I was quietly concerned at the lack of emotion she showed as usually she is the first to get upset at the the plight of any animal that appears in need . Her friends helped by talking about the event as sad but normal, and I hoped that she was crying quietly by herself if that is what she prefered.

However after today, I'm inclined to think that she has finally gone through a grieving stage that has been too long coming. I am sorry Mrs RP that you had to have this experience just 2 days into a new class placement, but a huge thank you that you were able to facilitate this grieving for my daughter - albeit without warning. There's a lesson in this for all of us...

Comments