Always baby steps. Today I have decided to start "doing" some of the activities that I have explored academically but haven't taken the time to put into practice. As simple as it looks (a bit of flashy writing) I needed to discover whether it could be a self taught skill or whether most people would need to follow an example. Young people learn these skills much more quickly than us old folks :) At the same time, they almost never consider the technology behind making these things happen.
I would like to say that I have this one in the bag! The proof will be in the pudding...when I can make all the bits of text that I want to look like this then I will be happy to put a tick next to this small but impressive skill. As a side note... I actually started out this session trying to discover how I could design a simple business/calling card that I could hand out to people rather than expecting people to have to rummage around in their bags for a scrap piece of paper to scribble some details on. Ideally this design would also be a digital design that I could quickly and easily send as an attachment or embed into websites. Any thoughts on how I go about this?

Comments

  1. I will comment on my own post...I have discovered that the clever writing (Leading by example) is not able to be recognised when sent to a RSS feed. Granted I am the only person following my post at the moment but these small problems will have to be ironed out if I actually want people to read my Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cass here (from http://togetherparenting.blogspot.com)

    I am actually an IT teacher (Web Design is my speciality). I am happy to give you some design pointers.

    For business cards.I design them in Illustrator. Vistaprint will print your 250 business cards for free. An electronic business card is kind of reinventing a wheel. What sort of information would be on it? People tend to want to be able to copy-paste information, a jpeg prevents this.

    With regards to flashy writing. I generally avoid it. For example your title in flashy writing (above) is great for drawing your readers eye to the title. The more you have going on (two text colours, movement, fancy font) reduce the readabilty of the text. This is okay for a title, though the movement of the title affects the readability of the main text on the page, particulary when white on black text is used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. erm....only person....I am actually amazed at how well you are going :P You've inspired me to pull my finger out and get more technically hip :) although the above example is quite awhile away for me to grasp....still tinkering though....keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amz, next on my agenda is to drop into your blog and check out all the cool things that you have been doing. My progress has stalled for a time while I am working (paid employment). I am sure there will be plenty of time in the coming weeks to get this happening more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment