Out with the old and in with the new...maybe?

I woke up with this idea in my head this morning and realised how ironic that it should occur to me on THIS day of all days.
"OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW"
We have all heard this saying before and I'm sure quite a few of us have even said this at some point in our lives as we cleansed  it of clutter, whether it be emotional clutter or clutter of possessions. Maybe we wanted to change our look and attitude to a certain issue. I know I have used it many time before as I embarked on one of my numerous purges, closely followed by a location move.

Today a troubling thought struck me which went hand- in- hand with an Ah-ha moment.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE EQUATION DOESN'T BALANCE?!? I  think I know why old people are sometimes reluctant to get with the times, if getting with the times and embracing something 'new' means they have to discard something, I can see how this could be a tricky decision they are not willing to make so it is easier to stay with the 'old' ways... thank you very much. (I'm channeling my grandmother in that last comment).
I am so very guilty of being a sucker for the latest and greatest ANYTHING. New computers, cool phones, fashion, cars, appliances, craft activities and the tools to do them, you name it, progress of this sort excites me. (NOT that I have all of these latest and greatest things - but it doesn't mean I don't want them!) I have embraced quite a few NEW things this year, new cool technology, new fitness goals, new craftskills. Luckily for me not all of these new acquisitions required the discarding of anything old, others did however and I experienced my Ah-ha moment when I realised this is primarily where my hoarding/chaos issues stem from.
Still at least now I am more aware of the problem, I have I can try and address it - Rome wasn't built in a day and my clutter/chaos is not going to disappear over night.
My quandry arises when I seriously contemplate what am I to do when discarding the old is not necessarily a fair or equitable exchange for adopting the new? EXAMPLE... I woke up with the guilty thought in my head that I had not sent christmas cards to a few friends that have been loyally sending me cards all my married life and have tracked me all over the country throughout my various moves. These friends are not connected via Facebook or even email, they are usually in the 'older' category - but not necessarily. They have not heard from me in over 12 months and many my not have even realised we have moved address again. I know how this has happened but I am not sure what the solution is....This  problem is a direct result of adopting the new preference of electronic communication, whether that be social networking or emailing. However I find the price for bringing in the 'new' is that I  have discarded the older style of communicating via letter writing and christmas cards. I can't help but think this is not a fair exchange.

What have you added to your life this year?        What did you discard from your life this year?

Comments